Saturday, September 12, 2009

Hugs

I hugged a friend today. Or did the friend hugged me? It was after I handed her a birthday gift that she gave me a hug. I believe that was a gesture of thanks.
But I believe, something is missing...
It was a brief one. I think its a culture thing. As Chinese we generally don't feel very at easy with hugs, maybe even a little shy. Though as a younger generation, we can do with a courtesy hug, and at times do find it meaningful, we generally do not immerse in the hug and feel it.

Something that I experienced differently in Vancouver was hugs.
First was when I first arrived in Regent to meet the International Student Coordinator. She's a Canadian, and she hugged me the first thing I entered her office. I nearly cried, because that was really a warm gesture when I felt all alone in a foreign land.
The second was on my last night in Vancouver. I remembered especially how a Japanese friend made me feel so different as she hugged me when I bade farewell. It was a gentle locking of arms and bodies PLUS an unexpected tight squeeze, to bring me really close to her. It was really warm and released the dam that was holding back tears in my eyes.
Those hugs were not formalities. Those were hugs that were not in a hurry. Those were hugs that seized and enjoyed the moment. Those were hugs that respected each other as beings created in God's image. Those were hugs in which love and messages were exchanged not through words.

Sorry that I didn't hug well today.
I'll replay when there's a chance. :-)

Hug hug...

No comments: