Tuesday, May 26, 2009

A Dinner and a Breakfast

THE DINNER
Cheese, crackers and dips as snacks or prelude to the dinner as people sit down to chat.
A sit down dinner for all, each with a full set of cutlery.
Respect for everyone's choice of drink; red wine, white wine, juice, water.
Delightful desserts: soft sponge cake, with Jelly, plus fresh strawberries, and chocolate coated strawberries and topped with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Ending it with your choice of hot drink, be it Green tea, Chamomile tea, Cappuccino, Americano, Espresso, Latte, etc. Even if they have to make just one cup of that drink for you.
Good time chatting with the hostess who is the only stranger at the table, making a point to go round the table to know you personally.

This dinner, is free, hosted at one of my lecturer's home.
A beautiful expression of respect and celebration of each person's individuality. They take every trouble and every extravagance they can for every small details to make one feel comfortable. And this is not a restaurant. Its a home dinner.


THE BREAKFAST
When I was first invited to a friend's place for breakfast just to get together, I was like...why breakfast? isn't there a better time to get together than that? I would never invite anyone to my place for breakfast as that would mean that I have to get up early to make sure my place is in order, and to prepare breakfast.
But well, since am an invitee here, I gladly go, and thinking to myself that I shall make sure that I eat whatever that is served whether or it is to my liking (since this is a Argentinian friend who had invited me and I almost only like Chinese food).

It turn out that I totally enjoyed the breakfast! Since there was only 3 of us, we have lots of opportunities to girls talk, share about our thoughts, feelings dreams and aspirations. I appreciate such efforts to 'get together'.

I think it is not only the Chinese who got it. The Westerners are getting it too. That food brings people together. And it is not the food, but the people that is the focus.


No comments: